Nursing is one of the most esteemed professions the world over, as it is a compassionate selfless service to humanity that has no parallel.
There has been a tremendous increase in the demand for healthcare professionals the world over, especially in India.
Nurses are known as the heart of healthcare! The Doctor prescribed the treatment, but it is the nurses that administer the treatment and take care of the patients 24X7 and 'nurse them back to health'.
Types of Nursing Courses
In India, there are 3 routes to becoming a Nurse.
You can choose from different nursing programs such as Auxiliary Nurse and Midwife, GNM (General Nursing and Midwifery), B.Sc., (Bachelor Basic), B.Sc., (Post Basic), M.Sc., (Master), M.Phil, and Ph.D. programs. Their exams are conducted by the Nursing Examination board or the State & Central University.
|Degree Nursing Course||Undergraduate, Postgraduate||2 – 4 years|
|Diploma Nursing Courses||Undergraduate, Postgraduate||1 – 3.5 years|
|Certificate Nursing Programs||Undergraduate||6 – 12 months|
|M.Sc / M.Phil||Postgraduate||1 – 2 years|
|Ph.D||M.Phil||3 – 5 years|
Further, you can choose to specialize in your field of Interest (surgery, psychiatry, etc). After successfully completing your course, you need to register as a Nurse with Indian Nursing Council and State Nursing Council.
The following are the eligibility criteria for enrolling in a Nursing Course in India:
- Passed 12th standard, with Biology as a compulsory subject and passing marks of 45% in all subjects, including English from recognized board under AISSCE/CBSE/ICSE/SSCE/HSCE or other equivalent Boards. 5% marks are relaxed for SC/ST candidates.
- Students appearing in the 10+2 examination in Science conducted by the National Institute of Open School with 45% marks.
- Entrance Exam of that particular college/university.
- The student must be medically fit.
- The minimum age for admission is 17 years and the maximum age limit is 35 years.
Nursing Entrance Exams for India
For gaining entrance to a B.Sc Nursing Course, a student needs to pass the entrance exams, usually held between April – June, for the chosen college.
List of Some Popular Entrance Exams:
- NEET – National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (undergraduate), formerly the All India Pre-Medical Test – This is accepted by many colleges
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical, Education, and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
- Directorate General of Medical Services (Indian Army)
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- King George's Medical University, Lucknow
And many more, each college/university has their own exam.
Contact a VidyaEdify expert today to help you select the best college for B.Sc and M.Sc.
The Nursing Admission process in India is fairly straightforward:
- Fill out the Application Form
- Entrance Exam
- Submit the requisite Documents
- Personal Interview
- Submit Fees
List of the Top Best Indian Colleges for the study of Nursing
|Ahilya Bai College of Nursing, Delhi||Delhi, Delhi NCR||Government|
|Kasturba Medical College||Lucknow, U.P||Private|
|Vivekanand College of Nursing||Lucknow||Private|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||Delhi, Delhi NCR||Government|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune||Government|
|Acharya Institute of Health Science||Bangalore||Private|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai||Government|
|King George's Medical University||Lucknow||Government|
|Hind Institute of Medical Science||Lucknow||Private|
Nursing is among one of the best and most noble professions. There is a huge demand for professional nurses in foreign countries. They need skilled and knowledgeable nurses. Students who pursue the nursing course are preferred as they understand the medical system, the cultural difference while handling patients, and communicate well with patients. Important is they are highly paid and respected abroad.
Why Study Nursing Abroad:
Some of the benefits of studying nursing abroad:
- Best medical teachers and professors
- Maximum global opportunities
- Practical knowledge and skills
- Best medical infrastructure
- High Demand for skilled nurses
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be a need for around 1.1 million new registered nurses.
Study Nursing Abroad Eligibility, Admission Process & Cost
Admission to top international universities has their criteria: Common
- 10 + 2 from recognized universities or schools with minimum marks as prescribed by Institution.
- Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) score: It is a universal exam for admissions to undergraduate courses abroad. The syllabus for the exam covers topics covered in the school curriculum.
- GRE Score: application for studying in any Master’s course abroad.
- Language proficiency exams - IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE scores are accepted.
- Other documents: ID, Photo ID, Letter of Recommendation, Official Transcripts, etc.
- After clearing tests, a personal interview round is held to assess the students, their goals and career perspectives, and their suitability.
- Need a license to practice as a nurse.
- Each country has set rules and regulations when it comes to admission.
- Students must gather the required information well in advance so as to prepare the essential documents.
The following table summarizes the most popular study abroad destinations, eligibility, and admission process for studying abroad, along with the approximate cost, and duration.
Students must consider all aspects before making a final decision.
For more information, talk to our expert counselors here.
|Country||Nursing Abroad Eligibility and Procedure||Cost of Nursing Abroad||Duration|
|Nursing in the USA||
Every university has its own admission process on its website that allows future students to apply for and enroll in nursing in the USA. First, select the university, apply through their website and submit the required documents.
List of basic requirements:
|$39,890 per year||2-4 years|
|Nursing in the UK||
||£9,250 - £20,000 per year||3-4 years|
*indicative figures. Subject to changes. Includes only tuition fees.
The best countries to study nursing abroad are the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
Study Nursing Abroad Career Opportunities
There are several work opportunities if you study nursing from universities abroad as there is always a requirement for well-qualified nurses the world over. Nursing in Canada, the USA, or the UK can open doors to reputable employment with higher pay. You can take up several work options:
- You can work as a hospital nurse.
- You can be a nurse in a private clinic.
- You can become a Public community health nurse, who works to improve overall public health.
- You can also serve in assisted-living facilities while working as a long-term care nurse.
- Nursing in the UK will give you specialization options- adult, child, learning disability, and mental health.
Contact Us today to book a free consultation to know more about studying nursing abroad.